Friday, September 23, 2011

Humor Me

I can pretty much guarantee that there exists only one other person in the whole world who will find this post about fabric scraps even mildly interesting and that is my Aunti Ann. And that is because a great many of these fabric scraps came from her fabric scrap bin, oh let's see, maybe 40 years ago??
It's sort of like a fabric guessing game. Can you remember what you made out of that squirrel and acorn fabric (I know, I know!), or the blue and gray check (Ched looked so cute in it!).

It's funny, right now my mother is sadly shaking her head and wondering where she went wrong and how could I have possibly spent an entire afternoon photographing 3-inch rectangles of 40 year old fabric and just why did I save them anyway and no wonder I never had boyfriends.

But there are some very cool designs and textures here. And these were originally going to be made into a Double Wedding Ring quilt. For my wedding. Yeah, I didn't get that quilt done.

Anyway, these pieces below came from a dress that belonged to my great-grandmother (Grandmom Clark).

The paisley below is from a dress I made in 1969 - a mini dress with cap sleeves and round collar, so short it barely covered my bum.

I'm sure my mother WILL remember this black daisy print. We were going to make mother-daughter matching shifts. At least I cut my pattern out. I'm certain Mom still has her fabric scraps tucked away somewhere, too. Probably on her bookshelf. With her book. (Love you, Lo!)

I can barely bring myself to even look at this flower-printed orange stuff because I made a maternity top out of it and to this day it makes me feel vaguely queasy.
I believe Aunti made me a dress out of this blue - and maybe Beth got one in red?

Another mini-dress of mine.

The following few designs are so Sixties, aren't they?
I'm feeling like pulling out the hip-huggers and going to a go-go.




And now that I have Smokey Robinson in my head, you might as well, too:

http://youtu.be/sWt4Hz1KGcQ
--cds

No comments:

Blog Archive