Sunday, December 4, 2011

Exercise Nuttiness

I've been attuned lately to people's exercise routines, some of which seem strange to me.  I am most definitely not disparaging any of these efforts (I swim at 6:30 a.m. in 56 degree air temps, for goodness sakes - crazy!), but some are....  strange. 

A guy just walked by our house bouncing a tennis ball in front of him as he walked - that takes much coordination, I imagine.  I'd be chasing the ball in the grass half the time. There is another guy who criss-crosses the street as he walks along - by the time he's past my house he has zig-zagged three times across the road.  Maximizes his walk somehow, I guess (but why not just walk farther in a straight line?).  I get a kick out of the guy who bikes around the compound wearing all of his topnotch biking gear - helmut, spandex, gloves, mirrors - impressive, but our streets are very residential-y.  More the granny-on-the-fat-tire-Schwinn type of biking.  Most of the women walk in fun-looking chat-groups, loud and laughy.  The weight room attracts the hard-core treadmillers and machine-savvy exercisers.  Not my favorite sort of place as it gives me creepy flashbacks to the early 70's and a short membership at an Elaine Powers Figure Salon where women in Danskin leotards jiggled in those belt and roller machines.

I'm sticking with my morning swim.  The mist rises off the water as I do my laps, I can watch the birds waking up and the pretty sunrises, and I have the pool all to myself.  Relaxing, healthy, and only a little nutty.  --cds

No comments:

Blog Archive