Thursday, November 11, 2010

A Good and Severe Discipline

An essay a day might keep dementia away. Every once in a while I find myself brooding about my life here in retirementville. Not about the decision to do so (retire) or about the move to Florida (come on, it's sunny, breezy and 75 degrees in November!). But keeping the mind sharp once out of the workplace is important, we're told, so I mean to force myself to write more, and more often.

The public debate over raising the age at which to receive Social Security throws my situation into relief because at its crux is the argument that people in general are living longer and employed people remain healthy longer (and then, of course, there is the whole deficit thing). I believe this health argument is true and now realize that, as an unemployed person, adding a disciplined thinking routine to my day is as important as the physical exercise. I really did think a lot at work no matter what my co-workers might believe to the contrary. My Mom plays computer Scrabble at an advanced level (she's very good). Since I lack the competition gene, writing will be my discipline of choice.

I once made a braggy remark that given a subject, access to a library and an hour, I could produce a decent essay and to prove it I scribbled off an essay about essay writing. All that shows me now is that writing takes practice since it has taken me two days to generate this teensy piece. Clearly, my brain pencil needs sharpening.

I will never be able to write daily - I know me; but I really do want to try. So in between pictures of quilts, birds and bottles of wine, I might write on things that I know about. Whoever loves Ernest Hemingway, raise your hand. --cds

No comments:

Blog Archive