Saturday, July 9, 2016

Caterpillar Conundrum

We've had a nice-looking parsley plant in a flowerpot sitting by our steps most of the summer, all green and healthy.  Suddenly, two days ago, it looked like this!



I believe these are monarch butterfly caterpillars, yes?  I thought they only ate milkweed?  Would someone please hook me up with Wit Baker as I understand he is an expert on this particular creepy crawlie.  Love the butterflies, but never have been too fond of the caterpillars.

Also, as shown in the photo below, three of them have disappeared leaving only one guy who is finishing up the remainder of the parsley (he's a little hard to see on that back stem under the bright yellow-green basil leaf.


I hope they have crawled away somewhere and are not... uh, dinner guests-of-honor of Mr. Mockingbird or Miss Egret.  The plant in back is a pointsettia, but I only gave it a quick look and didn't see any cocoons.  Where, oh where did they go?

Cool nature stuff still occurs even in the horrendous steambath that is summertime Florida.  I'll check in again if any other interesting critters pass through the yard.  --cds

No comments:

Blog Archive